Shop Hop 2014

Shop Hop 2014

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Therapeutic Knitting

Knitting is therapeutic.  We knit for fun, for gifts, for ourselves, and to occupy our hands, minds and hearts while something else is going on.  I have found that when a friend or family member is going thru something that I have no control over, I knit.  I have knitted prayer shawls, chemo hats, scarves & cowls for many.  Today, we sat and knit while my dad had knee replacement surgery.  I had two projects going and my mom had two as well.  Socks for my dad, we were both knitting mobius scarves (one orange and one in what we are calling mint chocolate) and and a cowl.  Oh, and my mom did the finishing on my last project (I'm not as good at the Kitchener stitch as she is).  The nice thing about knitting versus reading a book is that you can still have a great conversation with someone while you are knitting.  We talked to each other, we visited with others waiting, and had a nice visit from the minister at my parents church.  The orange scarf is done, the mint chocolate will be done soon (maybe during Karate), and the others will be worked on over the next few days for sure.  The great thing about today, is that when you are knitting you aren't worried about your loved one, time passes quickly and you have a little something to show for it in the end.  My dad will probably not be wearing the mint chocolate mobius that I'm knitting, but it was my therapy while he was "sleeping".

No comments:

Post a Comment